A great way to teach your kids about being green is to discover eco lunch boxes! From the type of lunch box to what you put in it goes a long way in teaching our youth about low-impact living.
Types of Eco Lunch Boxes
Eco lunch boxes are made from materials like non-PVC acrylic, organic cotton and canvas and some even have eco-friendly utensils. Even reusable lunch boxes are becoming the rage due to easy clean up and the fun shapes available. Here's a quick look at the most popular eco-friendly lunch boxes:
- Mimi the Sardine at Oompa - Oompa carries a variety of eco lunch boxes made in San Francisco by Mimi the Sardine. These easy to clean lunch boxes are made from non-PVC acrylic and coated cotton fabrics. They are all environmentally safe and free from chemicals and dyes. Choose from the Hybrid Cars Lunch Bag, the Mouse or Cats 'n' Dogs bag, the Jungle, Propeller or Lady-Bug bag, or a Flora blue or pink eco-friendly lunch pack.
- CitizenPip - This company offers reusable eco-friendly lunch kits. All of their lunch kits are lead, BPA and PVC free. Choose from their Soup to Nuts kit, the BYOB kit or the Square Meal Kit. These fun lunch kits offer containers and utensils are also available at a reasonable price to help teach youngsters about living green.
- Eco Fab - Adorned with a flower design, these lunch kits are made from 100 percent organic cotton and even come with plates, utensils, and coordinating napkins. Children of all ages will enjoy the bamboo plates and utensils and can brag about being green by carrying this reusable, easy to clean lunch box!
- Reusable Bags - Visit this website and browse the wide selection of small, medium, and large reusable lunch bags. These eco lunch bags are made from 90 percent post-consumer recycled materials and are 100% lead and PVC free. Reusable Bags offers many patterns and sizes and some come with attached drink holders.
- The Ultimate Green Store - This online store offers a variety of eco-friendly lunch boxes and drink containers. The Klean Kanteen water bottles are BPA and lead free and their LapTop Lunch Boxes include containers by Obentec and a book on healthy lunch ideas.
Pack It Green!
Part of using eco lunch boxes are what goes in them! Use these tips to pack a green lunch your kids will enjoy while learning.
- Be green inside the bag by choosing reusable or environmentally friendly containers, utensils, napkins, and plates. Teach your kids how reusable items save our trees and landfills.
- Pre-packaged lunches are easy to pack but not as healthy. Take the time to make a wholesome lunch with fresh ingredients. Skip the pre-packaged lunches and the wasteful materials they're pack in.
- Buy some stainless steel or lead-free containers and help your child decorate them. Allow them to explore their artistic side while reusing containers that are unique and made just by them.
- Include healthy snacks like fruits, nuts, berries, and fresh juices like mango or strawberry. Include your child in snack preparation so they understand the health benefits.
- Teach your children about leftover foods by including them in their eco lunch bags. Use leftover dinner vegetables, add some tomatoes, and make a healthy salad.
- Let you kids know how much you care by including a green tip, fun quiz or note in their lunch boxes. For older kids, try green quiz questions. For younger kids, draw pictures of endangered animals and explain why it's important to recycle.
Choose eco lunch boxes, kits or bags and turn your child's lunch into a learning experience!